Updated: May 6, 2021
1. There's no shame in not being accepted the first time (or the second time). Don't think for a moment that because you received a rejection one year, means that 'it is a sign'. Absolutely not! the study abroad application process is competitive and all a rejection means is that you may just need to re-assess your school, your score and your application essays.
2. Deadlines matter but not in the way you think. Yes, of course you want to meet your application deadline, but one element that international students forget is that schools have 'rolling admissions'. I applied in April 2016 and by August 2016, I was sitting in class! (OH, and with a merit based scholarship!) I say that to say, it's not too late to apply if your school is still accepting applications.
3. Get help with your GMAT. I realized it was not a matter of being 'smart' but rather it's about learning HOW to think about the questions. I signed up in a program that helped me to learn how to think about questions and got the score I needed within ONE month! Can you imagine? Check out my blog on how to get a good score!
4.You will have amazing experiences that you could not dream of, both in school and after you graduate! I learned so much about myself, about life, about others and met people from all over the world. If you TRULY immerse yourself in the experience, I guarantee you that you will marvel at how much you have grown in such a short space of time.
5. Funding is out there. Yes, lots of funding is out there. From merit based and private scholarships to interest free loans and grants, there are a lot of funding opportunities available to Caribbean students. What's more important than funding though? Choosing a major/degree that will afford you the opportunity to earn a salary that sustains you and helps you to pay back any loans within 1-3 years post grad. Check out our scholarship list, here.
6. Last, but not least, don't be afraid to ask for help. You may not have anyone in your circle to ask, but that's exactly why Island Advantage was founded. To give you, your parents, and your network an expert. Someone who has BEEN THERE, DONE THAT, and is now helping countless others to get it done too. (P.S., check out our testimonials!)
If you need a little direction, have academic or professional questions as you try to navigate a new country and the job market, or just want to perfect telling a story that increases your chances of success in scholarship or application essays, CHAT WITH ME now!